Monday, January 31, 2011

the mutual wave

I have concluded that here in NZ, when two cyclists traveling in opposite directions on the same road pass one another, it is not custom to acknowledge the other with a wave. Back home, the wave represents a sense of like-mindedness,  a bond that cyclists seem to have with each other for the simple reason of being cyclists.  Here, when I initiate the wave to a fellow passerby, the response is almost always, "see the wave, ignore the wave, look back at the road." I will not be discouraged. I WILL participate in a mutual wave exchange.

I quit my job! This is a VERY good thing. The chefs in the kitchen were a particularly hideous breed of mean. I would walk into the kitchen feeling happy and light-hearted and would exit feeling like life just wasn't worth living.  After being sworn at countless times,  I decided I just couldn't handle it anymore and I walked out. I was working 40+ hrs a week and it was starting to conflict with my training. So I quit, and that's that. I'm so much happier already.

This also means I'm not tied down to Nelson anymore. I have loved exploring the area, but have a huge urge to move on and travel down the east coast of the island. I'm thinking about following the mtb series from Nelson on Feb.13, to Christchurch on Feb 20th, to Nationals in Dunedin on Feb 24-27th.

We'll see where the wind blows!

4 comments:

  1. Good on YA! Chefs are dicks after watching alot of food network I don't blame ya. I hope your getting lots of sun, you better have an epic tan darkenning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunedin is AMAZING!! They have the steepest hill in the world!! I'm loving your blog, makes me feel like I'm back in NZ...maybe next year I'll head back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mustached men have a mutual wave, too

    ReplyDelete