Monday, January 24, 2011

close call

I came very close to hitting a parked car yesterday while fiddling with my ipod. Those things come out of nowhere sometimes. I almost went over the handlbars as a I made my emergency brake...not an exaggeration. Looked about, nobody saw. Phew, still cool.

Hmmm, what's new. OH YES! Thanks to a mtb amiga Steph who discovered this exciting mtb event, I registered for the Karapoti Classic! Never heard of it? I hadn't either until today as I surfed the website and immediately sent in my money for registration and an event Tee! Normally I don't go in for these types of T-shirts because they're usually extra-large and cotton, but I figured I should splurge on this once in a lifetime opportunity and go for the women's physique, dry-fit option.


The race starts like this...

Has a lil bit of this...
(Maybe he just got bit by an eel)

And ends something like this...

I think those are only two river crossings. Did I mention that the rivers here are festering with eels and that eels have teeth? Just saying. I'm going to be bookin' it out of that water so fast. Leeches are my biggest fear in life, and in my mind, eels are bigger, scarier versions of leeches...WITH TEETH. (otherwise I'm an animal lover)

I'll have to take the ferry from the South Island where I am now to the southern tip of the North Island for this race. I had wanted a reason to take that ferry anyways so this is perfect. 

Well that's for now, time to hit the roads!
eb







5 comments:

  1. Now technically leeches have teeth as well, so an eel could potentially be a bigger version of a leech, should you only consider this criteria.

    Also, dont let your bearings get in the water, twill be the end of your wheels.......in a foreign land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. upon first glance, the guy who looks like he got bit by an eel.. looks like josh..
    maybe get some road salt ready for the eels.. up-sized leech remedy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. how does one train for swimming with a bike?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm unsure.

    Also, really not sure that I can do this

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt3bWwdVnpE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy you're doing this! The ferry is pretty cool...takes about 2 hours I think? Very pretty :)

    Maybe if you think eel-like thought the eels will think that you're one of them and they'll leave you alone hahaha

    ReplyDelete