Monday, February 14, 2011

may as well publicize it...

Nothing like a good ass-kicking to get the season started. haha wow. So I entered the NZ series cup race in Nelson last Sunday. The course was great: 5 laps with just over 5k per lap, almost all singletrack, no real techy sections and about a million switchbacks.

It started off with a long climb up a dirt road to spread the racers out and let me tell ya, the start was FAST. The whistle blew, and I was immediately at the back of the pack desperately trying to hang on to anybody in front me. Once we got into the singletrack at the top, a few girls went down and I was able to slip past them without getting dangled up in the crash. The next 2 laps were uneventful, I didn't really pass or get passed. I was really just trying to make my way up to a racer who I would catch glimpses of every now and again.

80, good number

And then on the 3rd lap: BIGGEST CRASH OF MY LIFE.

It happened so fast, but I remember it in slow motion. I hit a bump in the trail and instead of absorbing it I got some air, landed on the edge of the track which was super soft and flew off the front of my bike into a thorny bush. I sat there, winded but intact, with my bike tangled somewhere below me. It happened to be a high density spectator area, so several people came down to help me.

They were all asking, "Are you ok?!"
All I remember saying is, "I think I'm in a rosebush."
Them, "They're blackberries."
"I see."

A woman asked me to hang on to her dog while her and another man helped untangle my bike from the thicket. Illegal yes, but they were so eager to help, I was so full of little thorns, and I love dogs... I didn't decline their help. At this point I had been passed by everyone and knew that I would be pulled before the end of the race anyway..hmm does that make it ok to accept help from others? Now I'm not so sure...

Everybody kept asking me if I was going to keep racing. My prickly hands told me absolutely not, but the fact the announcers called out, "ERICA BOTA FROM CANADA!" every time I started a new lap, and the fact that it was just a crash and it happens all the time, meant that I had no choice but to continue.

In the end after continuing on to complete a 4th lap, I was pulled off the course. Embarrassing. They directed me to a little path of shame off to the right of the course. I felt bad for myself for a few minutes, found Caitlin who had been my faithful feeder each lap and who was still watching the course eagerly, waiting for my arrival, and her and I had a good laugh at what had just happened.

I'm not too disappointed. I have a lot of training and racing ahead of me and will look back at this event and laugh, as I already do. Oh good times...

sad, crash site

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a soft landing to me :P It's alright, get it out of the system early. That forest is so cool, and these pics making me miss mtb racing already. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. No barend?!? No Gloves?!? You got air?!? You've changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha classic mistake. blackberries not roshbush!
    when do you do the eels river swim race?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your attitude! Fun post :)

    ReplyDelete