Tuesday, March 1, 2011

grape work is grape

Another day, another dollar.

I'm employed again! Thus, I have been very busy and haven't had time to update this thing. I've been working at a vineyard for the past 2 weeks in a town called Blenheim. My daily responsibilities on the job include pruning, picking, snipping, de-clumping and stuffing my face with fruit and pesticides. I seem to be the only one on the crew who can't resist devouring half of what I pick. Maybe it's because of the pesticides. The bunches we pick are the ones we throw away and breaks my heart to see a perfectly ripe bunch of grapes hit the ground. So I eat em'!

It's pouring outside which means no work today! If we prune the grapes when it's raining, we can damage the fruit, and we really can't have that. It was so nice to sleep in this morning. On work days we get up at 5:20am which I'm getting used to, but it really takes a toll on you by the end of the week.

I'm staying at a hostel called SWAMPYS that supplies work for travelers like me. There are about 50 of us and we all wake up, eat, work, and sleep and the exact same time. We became a big family pretty quickly, even though some people don't even speak english. Everyone seems to have some form of culinary skill so I'm going to step-up to the plate and make braided Fin bun today. A nice comforting activity on a rainy day...

Training - ugh. Hasn't been going swimmingly in the past two weeks. My heart rate monitor died so I've been training "by feeling" instead. I depend pretty heavily on my HR during workouts, so I'm having a hard time knowing what zone I'm actually in while training. And it seems like I'm in a bit of a trail-free zone so I've been doing everything on the road. I haven't missed workouts, but they just don't seem to be going as well as before. Maybe it has something to do with those cool kiwi teens that I rode past the other day who pointed and yelled out to me, "LOSER!"...or maybe it's the amount of peanut butter I eat.  Nah, I think I just need to snap out of it, get an attitude adjustment, get a grip. When I need to pull myself together, I just think about my new bike which I'll be picking up immediately when I come home. OR I go into this bead store. Both make me giddy and excited again.




Well I'm off to the g.store to get ingreeds for my bread.

4 comments:

  1. teens these days...they dont make em like they used to. I got laughed at a couple weeks ago whilst purchasing a submarine sandwich at the local subway restaurant.

    howd the garmin die?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about the HRM!! I'm sure you're doing better than you think. Just trust yourself (and if you don't, push a little harder for good measure, haha). You're going to kill it this year with all this outdoor riding you're doing while the rest of us toil away on our trainers ... keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. B - the battery in my strap leaked and corroded the inside, so really just my strap is a goner.

    Kris- I like your attitude! But I bet you're doing better than you think you are on the trainer too! that's so mentally tough!

    ReplyDelete